Open Science Cloud Competence Center in Greece
- Link and contact
- Establishment year
- GRNET S.A. – National Infrastructures for Research and Technology leverages the coordination experience of a number of national initiatives in different aspects of cutting-edge IT technology for science and the related skills.
Over the past 3 decades, GRNET has brought together the national experts in Greece in the fields of research networking, cloud and grid computing for big science and big data, High-Performance Computing and services for Open Science to advance national and international research.
GRNET has coordinated the HellasGrid initiative based on a Memorandum of Understanding among 25 Universities and Research organisations for use of cutting-edge computing and data services for research in the period 2003-2010. Starting from a similar MoU between 33 organizations dealing with HPC formulated in 2010, GRNET has progress to coordinating the national HPC Competence Center which acts as the reference and single point of contact and coordination on a national level for HPC activities, resources, technological consultancy and training for academia, public administrations and industry.
GRNET is one of the key contributors to the ‘National Plan for Open Science’ in Greece and is a founding member of Hellenic Open Science Initiative (HOSI), engaging Greek research, technology and innovation organisations in an Open Science partnership with the goal to implement Open Science policies in the country and support the national representation and contribution to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC). The HOSI members elected GRNET to be the Greek Mandated organisation in the EOSC-Association. GRNET also participates in various Open Science Cloud projects in the areas of service provisioning, user support and skills and is also the coordinator of the leading regional South-East European EOSC project.
GRNET holds a key role as the coordinator of all e-infrastructures in Education and Research in Greece and has direct contacts with all the key National and European academic stakeholders. GRNET offers an integrated environment of cutting-edge technologies and provides infrastructural and technology support to academic and research institutions, to educational bodies at all levels, and to agencies of the public sector.
The Open Science Cloud Competence Center whose formulation is currently being driven by GRNET in cooperation with related institutions aspires to, following coordination models described above, to build a collaboration with the Greek OS ecosystem in a participatory manner. Moreover, the coordination of the center will be aligned with the Greek National Digital Skills Academy and more specifically with the GRNET dedicated directorate for Digital Skills.
- Skills4EOSC CC Entry since
- Organization/unit structure, e.g.
- GRNET is a legal entity with close collaboration with the academic and research community, providing services, infrastructures, user support and skills. Similar to HPC CC which functions within GRNET, as well as the Digital Skills Academy, the Open Science Cloud CC aims to engage the Greek OS community to be closely involved in the CC activities, according to the needs for specific competencies and their availability.
- The competences made available in the EOSC-GR are:
- Services for Open Science
- Consultancy - strategic guidance
- Policy and strategic guidance
- Legal and ethical
- Research data management, FAIR principles, data management plan
- Expertise in EOSC Architecture as defined in SRIA and EOSC related procedures and policies.
- Competencies that are not currently on board are complemented by the pool of experts within the HOSI members and other R&E institutions.
- Individuals and Institutions/Organizations
- GRNET and the collaborating organisations
- Services offered
- Services for Open Science
- Service portfolio management
- Service Onboarding Support
- More at https://grnet.gr/en/services-2/
- Operational Tools
- Github, epresence (zoom platform), Wiki
- Is part of EOSC ecosystem?
- GRNET is the Greek Mandated organisation in the EOSC-A, elected by the Hellenic Open Science Initiative and authorised by the General Secretariat for Research and Innovation in consultation with the Ministry of Digital Governace.